Using Natural Gas Wisely
Natural gas appliances are more than economical and efficient…they’re safe, too. But like all appliances, they should be used properly. Your natural gas heater, dryer, water heater and range will give you many years of safe, economical service if you follow a few easy guidelines for their use:
- Have your natural gas appliances installed and maintained by qualified service professionals, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Use a natural gas appliance only for its intended purpose.
- Keep papers, clothing, curtains, flammable liquids and other combustibles away from open flames. Gasoline and other flammable liquids can be dangerous if not handled or stored safely.
- Have your natural gas heating system checked by a professional every year before cold weather begins.
- Make sure your water heater is set to a safe temperature – 120° F – or no higher than necessary. Be aware that higher temperatures may cause scalding, and the risk of scalding is greater for children and the elderly.
- Before installing any natural gas appliances, check the local code governing their use.